We are thrilled to share that LillieKat Rugs is coming to the Pepper Place Creative District.
Our team recently had a chance to talk with Kristie Stewart, Founder and Owner of LillieKat Rugs. On Monday, December 8, she will open her doors in the Studios Building, right behind Yellowhammer Creative and FarmStand by Stone Hollow. We asked her a few questions to better get to know her and her brand- We’re sharing everything we learned below! We hope you’re as excited as we are that her very first store will be located within Pepper Place.
1.Tell us a little about how LillieKat got started.
- “I started LillieKat Rugs two years ago because I found that there was a lack of affordable, yet high-quality oriental rugs available in Birmingham. My husband and I had just built a new home and I was searching for beautiful oriental rugs for some of the rooms. However, I could not justify the cost of the rugs I was interested in purchasing. It was then that it hit me that other people may be in a similar position and that maybe I could provide the same quality rugs at a fraction of the cost of traditional retail stores. I named the business after my two daughters, Lillian Clark and Kathlyn Grace. My business started online, and it has grown exponentially over the past two years, as I now have customers all across the country. I am excited about having a showroom setting to make it even easier for designers and individuals to shop for a gorgeous rug.”
2. How would you describe LillieKat?
- “LillieKat Rugs is a retailer of handwoven modern, vintage and antique rugs from around the world. I hand pick every rug that is in my collection. My goal is to offer high-quality rugs at an affordable price while making the shopping experience enjoyable and convenient by featuring my collection both online and at Pepper Place. I recognize that buying a rug is an investment and so we have a generous approval and return policy so our customers can make sure the rug works in their space.”
3. Why did you pick Pepper Place for the location of your first store?
- “I chose Pepper Place because of the history, convenience and its unique position as the preeminent one-stop shopping experience for designers and individuals.”
4. What’s your favorite part about owning a business?
- “My favorite part about owning a business is being my own boss! I also love showing my girls that you can love what you do and earn a living.”
5. What has been your biggest learning experience as an entrepreneur?
- “My biggest learning experience as an entrepreneur is that in order to be successful you have to take risks. I have been terrified to make necessary changes and shifts over the past two years—but in the end—each risk has been worth it!”
As the design community continues to grow in Pepper Place it will be exciting to see all that comes from it in 2020. Be sure to stop by LillieKat Rugs when they open on Monday, December 9 and see their beautiful collection. They will be open by appointment only, so be sure to contact them and find the time the works best for your schedule!