Eat, drink, and be merry with this homemade monkey bread recipe courtesy of Deborah and Alexandra Stone of FarmStand by Stone Hollow Farmstead. Every Christmas Eve the Stones host a large group of family and friends. Being the top-notch hosts that they are, the mother-daughter take the day before to cook and prepare. Deborah and Alexandra have a few family heirloom recipes that have been passed down through generations, like this monkey bread recipe that they have so kindly shared.
This delicious dish is sure to be a hit at any upcoming holiday gathering you may be hosting or attending. Don’t forget to add the special ingredient: Stone Hollow Wild Blossom Honey, which you can pick up at their Pepper Place location. If you end up making this recipe, be sure to share a photo on social media and tag both @pepperplacebham and @farmstandbystonehollow – We would love to see!
Homemade Monkey Bread
Prep time: 45
Serving Size: 24
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 packet rapid rise Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup Kerrigold Pure Irish butter sliced into tablespoons
- 3 farm raised large eggs, beaten (of course you can use any egg)
- In a large bowl mix yeast, 3 cups of flour, salt, and sugar.
- Beat in the warm milk, warm water, melted butter, and beaten eggs.
- Continuing to beat the dough adding in the remaining 2½ cups flour. You may have to add the last amount by hand. Use the beaters as long as possible.
- Knead for a few minutes then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin into roll out into ½ inch thickness and cut into 2 inch squares.
- Roll squares into balls, dip in melted butter and place in greased bunt pan ( We make 3 layers).
- Cover and let rise in warm place till dough has doubled in size (about an 1 hour).
- Bake in 375F oven for approx. 45 minutes.
- Turn out on rack to cool and ENJOY!